Thursday, September 17, 2009

AM Rock

I've probably already written most of this before but over on Facebook Tony and Daryl have gotten me going again and the memories just keep coming back. I've been listening to satellite radio for the past 6 or 7 years, partly because I hate DJs but mostly because I don't have to put up with the commercials. Anyway, they have entire channels dedicated to the music we listened to in high school and as much as I enjoy it I sometimes really miss the old AM radio stations we listened to.

I know, there was a lot of popping and crackling and static and fading in and out, but I do miss it. And even with all that bad stuff, you could tune them down to a hair's breadth and pull in almost any station you wanted to.

Early in the evening it was WNOX, but as it got later there was a ton of stations you could pull in, from WSM in Nashville to WLS in Chicago to KDKA in Pittsburgh. Baseball games from Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore and Atlanta after the Braves moved there.

Sure we had FM, we just didn't use it, or, at least not until I found the underground station from UT, or was it Maryville College? FM was the music they played in the doctor's office --- easy listening or MOR, (Middle of the Road, remember that term?)

Anyway, the Monkees, Beatles, Stones, Byrds, Who, 3 Dog Night-- and all others sounded so much better in a way when you had to strain just a little bit more to hear the words.

1 comment:

trwoody said...

Probably was WUOT, university of Tn.radio station. Playing "underground" music