Friday, October 09, 2009

That Championship Season

Record: 11-0-1
LHS 20 Alcoa 7
LHS 27 Clinton 0
LHS 35 Lenoir City 6
LHS 56 Everette 6
LHS 25 McMinn Central 0
LHS 20 Cleveland 0
LHS 9 Maryville 6
LHS 7 Kingston 7
LHS 45 Rockwood 6
LHS 28 Sevierville 0
Playoffs
LHS 28 Knox South 0
LHS 30 Humbolt 0
Points Loudon 330 Opponent 38
Average Loudon 27.5 Opponent 3.1

No matter how you look at it, that was one helluva season.
Except for a tie to Kingston it would have been perfect.
Six of the 12 opponents were shut out.
Loudon outscored them almost 10 to 1.
Opponents averaged just 3 points a game.
If you take out the two close games, Loudon outscored them by an average score of 31-2.
In ten of the 12 games Loudon scored 20+ points.
Loudon didn’t allow a score at all in the last 3 games, two of which were playoff games.

What got me thinking about this was last Friday night. I to the Loudon football game on the internet. I didn’t know until game time that it was homecoming and I was very surprised when they paid tribute to the 69 team. Our team. That team at the top of this post.

The lady called out the names of the members of the team who were present and I found myself initially remembering them as they were, but then trying to figure out how they had changed over the years. There weren’t many there, but the seniors she called out were Dickie Blankenship, Gordo Watson, Wayne Poole, Buddy Guider, Bo Carey, Mike Littleton and Mike Skinner (I hope I remembered them all).

It would have been fun be there to see them again. I haven’t seen Mike Skinner and Wayne Poole in 25 years, or at least 20, and I haven’t seen the others much more than that.

Great memory guys!

No comments: