Saturday, September 29, 2012

Baby Love


Last night our youngest grandson, Logan spent the night with us.  He is such a hoot.  He will be 3 in a couple of weeks and he tends to think his grandmother walks on water.  He and I get along great too, but I know he leans a little more in her direction most times, and I’m okay with that.

He has his own bedroom in our house.  It’s not really, it’s the guest room but he calls it his, but that doesn’t mean he will sleep there all night.  He does some, but usually about 3 or 4 in the morning he will end up between Sue and I.

I love that part.  He usually lies against me.  I sleep on my side most of the time so he presses against my back.  I guess I’m the biggest heat source in the bed, so he ends up on my side of the bed.  I know all the dangers of letting little ones sleep with you and believe me, I am conscious of every move he makes.  Besides, he’s not so little anymore.

But I love the feeling of him being there.  He has to be comfortable or he wouldn’t be there, so to know he feels that way just makes me so proud and so happy.  You can’t buy that feeling, that little fuzzy feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, when you know they are where they want to be, and it’s being with you.

I read somewhere before my first son was born that one of the things that comforts a newborn when their mothers hold them is the sound of their heartbeat, that heartbeat the baby has heard their whole life to that point.  So, I decided that my little ones were going to get used to my heartbeat early two.  I held every one of them as close as I could, as often as I could.  In fact, Christopher and Sarah spent their first 3 nights at home sleeping on my chest.

I know, I know.  That sleeping with babies thing again.  I know it’s dangerous, but believe me, I never moved, and I know it helped with the bonding.  Just like I’m bonding with Logan now.

My biggest wish is that somehow, someway, I can get all the kids and grandkids together in the same town, just like how I grew up, with most of the family within shouting distance of each other, so that I can share all those precious moments with all of them.

That would make me the happiest I could be.

No comments: