Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why Must I Be A Teenager In Love

I told somebody once that between the time I was 12 and 15, I think I had a crush on almost every girl I went to school with.  Sometimes I think I either grew out of it or just gave up on it.

I had no idea that things like social class or connections could play a part in whether someone would find me the least bit interesting, they were girls and that’s all that mattered then.

It also never occurred to me that they might not find me interesting at all, which was usually the case, because as the old saying goes “God looks after fools and children”, and I was a lot of one and a little of the other.

But as I look back, undoubtedly the oddest thing is that most of them never knew.  I would sit and doodle on notebook paper by writing their names over and over, while I should have been paying attention in class.  But I never said a word to anybody.  I can remember once I used an ink pen to write the girl du jour's name on the leg of my pants, just above the knee.  Good thing they were dark pants.

And although I’d sit and stare at them sometimes, and not get any attention directed back at me, it wasn’t really a big deal.  I would just start mooning over another one.

Plus, if they did show me any attention, BANG!  I went from "what’s your name" to "let’s go steady" in about 5 seconds.

Ladies, if you’re reading this now, please forgive me for being so foolish.  I didn’t mean to be such a pain in the keister, I was just fighting off major hormone attacks.

No comments: