Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Were We That Naive?

I read an article the other day that said an Oak Ridge High School newspaper was causing headlines because it included an article on birth control. Is it just me or does that sound a little heavy for a high school newspaper? I don't mean whether they had the right to put in an article like that, if it's needed, it's needed. But that subject matter seems lightyears away from anything that was put in the good ol' Chieftain. I know, I know, you're all shaking your heads saying, "Doug, get into the real world, man. Times have changed." But I guess my point is, were we that naive? We all made steps and missteps in the area of interpersonal relationships (dates) in high school, but Miss Mize would have had a coronary if anyone said something like, "I think we need to do an article on kissing", let alone one on birth control.

But was it our morals, the way we were disciplined or just plain innocence? Or was it just another time? I am so glad I don't have to contend with the level of peer pressure my two youngest kids have to put up with today. In comparison, my time in high school was a walk in the park... unless you guys weren't inviting me to those parties. :)

No comments: