Monday, February 25, 2008

My Current Conundrum

What is too big of an age gap when dating in high school? My youngest is 15 and a freshman this year. In all the years prior to this she has never shown much interest in boys. The ones in her class were her friends, and that’s the way she always described them.

This year has been different. She has had two interests this year, or three if you count the one I told her that in no uncertain terms would I permit her to date him, especially after she told me he had a probation officer. I’m sure she meant juvenile officer, but either way, it was strikes one, two and three all at one time.

The latest guy poses a different problem, and the problem just might be me. He’s a junior and I want to say that it’s too much of an age difference. Am I being over protective? I keep going back to the difference between me as a freshman and me as a junior, and it was quite a difference. Granted, girls mature faster than boys (or at least that’s how it is in my house) so maybe she’s more mature than he is already, but I won’t know until I get a chance to get to know him a little.

So, the question remains, when it comes to dating in high school, how much of an age difference is too much of a difference?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug, have you forgotten that teenagers will lie to you about anything. You can tell them what to do but if they want to do whatever, trust me it will be done.How old is to much age difference? I always dated older than I was. Never dated an under-classman. Ricky is only 6 months older than me and look at the mess I got myself into.

Anonymous said...

Johnny was a senior when I was a freshman and I wanted to date him then - he made me wait until I was a junior and he had been out of school for while and was working. I'm like Donna - girls never dated younger and rarely dated same grade if they could find an "older man"! Of course, when we were freshman most of us were "double dating" or "group dating" for events. I was a sophmore before my mother would even consider letting me go out alone - and that was after a thorough inquisition!