Sunday, February 15, 2009

Like A Rock

Back in the 80s Moe Bandy had a country song titled "Hank Williams, You Wrote My Life". If I had to pick someone who wrote my life it would have to be Bob Seger. We've already talked about "Night Moves" and how it captured the heart and soul of a teen aged boy, and "Against the Wind" covers a large chunk of my life since graduation, and now in looking back "Like a Rock" echoes some of my thoughts. It came out just about 20 years after graduation, so it seemed to fit so well. And now, almost 40 years later, I've altered one word and you know what, it still fits. Here are the words, with all due respect to Mr. Seger, and I've also posted it as the YouTube video. Read along while you listen to the song and see if it doesn't fit for you too.


Stood there boldly
Sweatin' in the sun
Felt like a million
Felt like number one
The height of summer
I'd never felt that strong
Like a rock

I was eighteen
Didn't have a care
Workin' for peanuts
Not a dime to spare
But I was lean and
Solid everywhere
Like a rock

My hands were steady
My eyes were clear and bright
My walk had purpose
My steps were quick and light
And I held firmly
To what I felt was right
Like a rock

Like a rock, I was strong as I could be
Like a rock, nothin' ever got to me
Like a rock, I was something to see
Like a rock

And I stood arrow straight
Unencumbered by the weight
Of all these hustlers and their schemes
I stood proud, I stood tall
High above it all
I still believed in my dreams

Forty years now
Where'd they go?
Forty years
I don't know
I Sit and I wonder sometimes
Where they've gone

And sometimes late at night
When Im bathed in the firelight
The moon comes callin' a ghostly white
And I recall
Recall

Like a rock. standin' arrow straight
Like a rock, chargin' from the gate
Like a rock, carryin' the weight
Like a rock

Lihe a rock, the sun upon my skin
Like a rock, hard against the wind
Like a rock, I see myself again
Like a rock

No comments: