Thursday, April 02, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Last night I had a very delightful evening. I was lucky enough to have dinner with Brenda Nicholson, Sylvia Robinson, Kathey Guider, Donna Morgan and Pat Milsaps. There were a few extra wrinkles here and there, a little more grey hair, and our outfits were a skosh wider… or a lot wider in my case… but none of that matter. Within a couple of minutes we were laughing and reminiscing about so much.

Each time I looked across the table at Brenda and Sylvia, every time they laughed they looked just like they did 39 years ago, and Donna had everyone in stitches throughout the night, and Kathey and Pat laughed too, their eyes sparkling like new money.

Sylva brought several things -- newspaper clippings about Lynn Barger, school pictures from grade school and several copies of the Chieftain. She loaned me the Chieftains and I will scan them and make them available to everyone.

We spend three hours laughing and remembering; three hours that were over with way too soon, and the thought also occurred to me that 39 years ago I didn’t spend that much time with these ladies – no more than a class or two we may have shared – yet here we were enjoying each other's company like long, lost friends.

Expect to hear more on this in the next few weeks because we also planted the seeds for next year’s 40th reunion.

I can’t wait to do it again.

No comments: