I assume everyone knows what a one hit wonder is, I know Tony does. I thought it might bring back a few buried memories if I listed the one hit wonders from our high school years and only from our high school years, in chronological order, from day one to day... well.. whatever it was. This isn't my list. I "borrowed" it from Wikipedia, and there are one or two I would disagree with, but by strict definition, if one song was a monster hit, then even if there were other minor hits it doesn't count. So without further ado....
Psychotic Reaction -- Count Five
Winchester Cathedral -- The New Vaudeville Band
Music to Watch Girls By -- Bob Crewe Generation
It Takes Two -- Kim Weston
Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye -- The Casinos
Friday On My Mind -- The Easybeats
Come On Down to My Boat -- Every Mother's Son
Little Ole Man (Uptight–Everything's Alright) -- Bill Cosby
Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out) -- The Hombres
Next Plane To London -- The Rose Garden
Judy In Disguise (With Glasses) -- John Fred and His Playboy Band
Green Tambourine -- The Lemon Pipers
Nobody But Me -- The Human Beinz
Love Is Blue -- Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me -- Madeline Bell
Skip a Rope -- Henson Cargill
Born Free -- The Hesitations
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly -- Hugo Montenegro
Master Jack -- Four Jacks and a Jill
MacArthur Park -- Richard Harris
Reach Out of the Darkness -- Friend and Lover
The Horse -- Cliff Nobles and Co.
Angel of the Morning -- Merrilee Rush
Tip Toe Thru' The Tulips With Me -- Tiny Tim
Grazing in the Grass -- Hugh Masekela
Classical Gas -- Mason Williams
Journey to the Center of the Mind -- The Amboy Dukes
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida -- Iron Butterfly
Harper Valley PTA -- Jeannie C. Riley
Girl Watcher -- The O'Kaysions
Fire -- Crazy World of Arthur Brown
All Along the Watchtower -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience
I Got a Line On You -- Spirit
Worst That Could Happen -- Brooklyn Bridge
Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' -- Crazy Elephant
Love (Can Make You Happy) -- Mercy
Morning Girl -- The Neon Philharmonic
More Today Than Yesterday -- Spiral Starecase
Israelites -- Desmond Dekker and the Aces
Black Pearl -- Checkmates, LTD.
Medicine Man -- Buchanan Brothers
In the Year 2525 -- Zager and Evans
Color Him Father -- Winstons
My Pledge of Love -- Jeffrey Group
Yesterday, When I Was Young -- Roy Clark
Salad Annie --Tony Joe White
Sugar On Sunday -- Clique
Get Together -- The Youngbloods
Baby It's You -- Smith
Smile a Little Smile For Me Rosemarie -- The Flying Machine
Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye -- Steam
Evil Woman -- Crow
Venus -- Shocking Blue
One Tin Soldier -- Original Caste
Hey There Lonely Girl -- Eddie Holman
Ma Belle Amie -- Tee Set
The Rapper -- The Jaggerz
Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) -- Edison Lighthouse
Mississippi Queen -- Mountain
Long Lonesome Highway -- Michael Parks
Reflections of My Life -- Marmalade
Mississippi -- John Phillips
Vehicle -- The Ides of March
1 comment:
I agree that some of the "one hit wonders" are confusing, but obviously the list is just for the songs by that bands name....i.e. Amboy Dukes...Ted Nugent, Jimmy Hendrix Experience..I forget who was in it? I did not bother to look up any others as I'm sure many more great musicians started their career that way. The country artists are confusing...Roy Clark??
AND it is by chart ranking alone which has nothing to do with long term popularity
Post a Comment