Monday, November 30, 2009

The First Cut

According to Rod Stewart, the first cut is the deepest. We all know he was talking about romance, but it could apply to other things as well, and we've all had our share of firsts.

Obviously there was the first time we really used the word love in connection with someone who was not a dear friend or family member, and meant it, or the first time we got dumped or got our heart broke. Or it could be just the first time we ventured in that direction, coming out of our shells enough and working up enough courage to actually let someone know we felt something. Those times are the obvious ones.

The others were just as painful in their own way, they just weren't used as the subject matter for rock and roll songs. There was the first time we went out for a sport and didn't make it. Or the first time we tried to join a group and discovered we didn't quite fit in. For some of us we might have wanted attention or recognition for something we did or could do, but we went unnoticed.

We have all decided just what memories we want to carry with us, the ones that are strongest. I think most of the time we choose the happy ones and we strive to hold those closest, but the others are there too. Always. Every now and then we can't help but pull the scab off them and when we do, they can be just as painful as they were back then.

I can't speak for anyone else. I have my share of the scars, both the kind that came along with the times and, for lack of a better term, those due to my social class. but I choose the happy ones and I hope that some of our friends are not staying in touch with us because they remember more of the painful ones. If that is true, I offer them both my hand and an ear. I will support them and even though I can't change anything, I think I'm a good listener and I can give a pat on the back when I think one is needed. All they have to do is let me know.

No comments: