In the last year and a half, we’ve lost two classmates and at least three others have had some serious situations. Also, there have been a few in the classes either side of us who have passed. I’m not trying to bring up a morbid subject here, but it brings to mind a question --- one that might be a touch out of line.
Do things like that affect you? Why?
Can I venture a guess? Yes, they do, and there are two main reasons. First, it is a reminder of our own mortality and second, even if they are not related to you, you know them. Notice I said know them, not knew them. Obviously, people change, but have you ever said that you “knew” a classmate? If I asked if you ever heard of Donna Morgan, most of you would say, “I know her.” Yes, there are some who wouldn’t say that, but I think most of us would. I know I would answer that way.
And that’s my point. We know each other, even now. Oh, I know that we’ve gotten older and there is this middle age veneer where our fresh teen selves used to be, but we still know each other. The soul of our friendship has not changed, and I bet if we were sitting in a room chatting, it wouldn’t take but a very few minutes to start feeling comfortable with each other again. I’ve experienced this. The evening with Donna, Brenda, Kathey, Sylvia and Pat was a blast. We couldn’t stop talking and laughing. We were the loudest table in the restaurant!
You guys were not my friends, you guys are my friends. I know I’ve been riding this horse for a long time, but if I didn’t really feel that way, I wouldn’t keep saying it. Obviously, if two people didn’t like one another in high school they most likely won’t now. I also realize there are exceptions to every rule, but it’s close enough to fact to be called one.
When one of our classmates pass, you feel sad don’t you? You might even cry. You don’t feel that way for people you don’t know.
The reunion is coming. Be there
No comments:
Post a Comment