Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Last One... Maybe... or at Least for Now

Pep talk that is.

Reasons not to come to the reunion:
1. It's too far to drive.
2. It's always in the same old place.
3. I don't like someone who might show up.
4. I didn't like anybody anyway, no matter who shows up.
5. I don't like the way it is handled.
6. My wife is pregnant... and due to deliver.
7. I'm pregnant and due to deliver.
8. I look terrible and don't want anyone to see me.
9. I have grey hair and wrinkles
10. I'm too fat
11. I'm too skinny
12. It's my anniversary
13. It's always the same old people, each and every time.
14. I'm not the stud I used to be.
15. I'm not the knock out I used to be.
16. We're going to be on vacation.
17. I promised I'd take my wife out to dinner that night. (I actually heard that one once)
18. I don't have a thing to wear.
19. I'm going to have surgery.
20. I've fallen and I can't get up.

Why those don't matter.
1. Then take a bus or a plane. We're worth it.
2. It's where the most people want it to be, the place we shared. Bang! Right off the bat we have something in common. Something to break the ice.
3. Then shy away from them and lean toward someone/some people you do like.
4. Then show up so we won't talk about you. Flaunt it if you have to, just show up.
5. Then jump right in there and help handle it another way.
6. At your age?
7. At your age, too?
8. We all have changed. Compared to what we used to look like, we're all down a notch or two, but guess what? It doesn't matter.
9. Don't we all?
10. So am I. :) But only if being as big as a house is too fat.
11. At our age I don't think there's such a thing as too skinny.
12. Then bring them along. You can sneak off together later.
13. There is nothing wrong with someone who enjoys being around old friends. Give it a chance for heaven's sake.
14 Who is? For that matter, who was?
15. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in the memories of some good old friends.
16. What better place to have a good time? Plus, it's cheaper than Disney World and a lot less crowded.
17. So? Take her out afterward. Or, take her out before and bring us the doggy bag.
18. Then wrap a towel around your middle, pull up close to the door, crank down your window, and we'll come outside to talk to you.
19. We'll help you prep beforehand, or mend afterward.
20. Then we'll get you a walker. :)

Listen, I know that the 40th doesn't have quite the luster of the 50th, but it's here now, and so are we. We've lost a bunch of classmates si far and who knows what the next 10 years hold?,

So, please be there. Fly, drive, swim, run, walk, hobble, crawl or call some of us and we'll carry you. We want to see you.

No comments: