Friday, July 15, 2011

Let's Dance

Do you remember your first dance?  I don't.  It must have been sometime during high school, or maybe 7th or 8th grade, because before that I wouldn't have been interested at all.  The reason I ask is that I'm going to let you ladies in on a secret.  We knew how bad we were at dancing, even if we acted like we were the second coming of Fred Astaire..

I know that when you saw us approach you at the begining of a slow song you thought something like, "Uh-oh, here he comes now.  Why did it have to be a slow song?  He's probably going to stand too close."  Okay, so I paraphrased it some.  I'm not a girl, but I've seen that look in their eyes, not exactly like they dread it but maybe a little like the hot dog they just ate isn't quite agreeing with them.

Well, let me tell you, it wasn't all peaches and cream for us guys either.  Well, most of us anyway.  We couldn't dance a lick, not a lick,  and the very last thing we wanted to do was look dorky in front of the other people, especially the girls we might asking to dance later on and our buddies who were going to give us hell when the dance was over.

Our thought process was more like, "Oh God, she looks scared.  I know she's going to say no. Do I look that bad?  Please don't let me step on her feet.  I hope the guys ain't looking.  Oh man, she knows I'm going to stink at this.  Stink?!?!  Oh God, do I smell?  I don't think so.  Maybe I used too much  after shave.  Is she going to laugh?  Why does everybody have to be watching us?  Can she feel me shaking?  Do I talk?  What about?"

So there it is.  The two things that gave us the biggest fit during that time in our lives.  Dealing with girls and dancing.  Most of us were bad at both.

No comments: