According to statistics, the average person moves 11 times during their life. They jack that number up some if you are, or were, in the military.
I beat the average. I have lived in 28 separate houses, apartments or dorms in my life, and being in the military did add quite a few to that total, but almost half of those, 12, were before I left Loudon. We moved a lot! Part of that revolved around Mom and where, and if, she was working. She mostly worked as a waitress and I think she worked at every cafĂ© in town at one time or another, plus she made a few trips to Atlanta to try and find work. We moved down there with her once, but the other times we moved in with my grandparents, but I’m not sure why they moved around.
I think at one time or another I lived in most parts of town, but never outside the city limits. In fact, for a couple of years we lived almost right downtown. There’s a bank there now, just across from the First Baptist Church.
Five of them were in the vicinity of Hospital Hill and three others were around Reservoir Hill. For some reason we gravitated to high places.
It at least let me have a fairly large group of friends, and I probably lived within a stone’s throw of 50% of the senior class at one time or another.
So moving can have advantages I guess, but you don’t get to set down a really good set of roots, and that would have been very nice to have.
No comments:
Post a Comment