Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Learning to Grow Old

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this, but it’s been a fairly active month. The hustle and bustled of the holidays were replaced by the somewhat melancholy passing of my birthday and then I had eye surgery. Well, actually eyelid surgery.

The doctor would tell you there was a bit more to the surgery than just the eyelids, but that’s what most folks see, so I just leave it at that. I can tell you that there is an increase in what I can see, but not so much in how clearly I see it. However, just by seeing more, it makes a big, positive difference.

Also, the surgery kind of plays into the birthday in that I think it was most likely an “age” kind of thing. Well, age and plumpness, but age first. Right?

As to the age, I’m now 60. In fact, most of us who graduated in 1970 well become 60 this year. Is it time we recognize that we are now getting old? I mean realistically we all qualified for a senior citizen’s discount 5 years ago at some places.

Oh, I’m not saying we should all reserve our rooms down at the old folk’s home, but is it time we drop the pretense and just admit we’re old.

I’m a strong believer in the adage, “ of you “being as old as you feel”, because I think a good positive outlook won’t necessarily hold back the sands of time, but it will keep that sand from being so clumpy, and allow us to grow old a little more gracefully.

I know this much, I will never act my age. I never have. There is a line from Sanford and Son where Lamont accuses Fred of being a dirty old man, and Fred responds, “That’s right, and I’m gonna be a dirty old man ‘til I’m a dead old man.” That’s the way I feel about acting my age, especially if acting my age means getting bitter and withdrawn.

So, here’s to us, (and to paraphrase Shakespeare), “we few, we happy few, we band of brothers… and sisters”, as we learn to grow old. I think we should try to see each other a little more often, so don’t be surprised if on some trip to Loudon, I’m knocking on your door.

No comments: