Friday, April 27, 2012

The Things, They Are A'Changin'

I sat down for exactly 5 minutes and tried to list everything that's changed in Loudon since I moved away.  I was surprised how much I listed.  But, I guess 40 years is a long time so it could have been more.  Can you remember any more?

Cole’s Drive In is gone.


The IGA is gone; actually 2 if you count the one out in Davis. Not sure about the one in Philadelphia.

The old cinderblock building that at one time was a bowling alley and later sold stone yard ornaments that sat across the highway from the IGA is gone.

The house the Best family lived in for years (that nobody else seemed to want) is now a historical building and sits where the jail used to.

The bridge has been replaced.

The jail.is gone.

The Chair Factory is gone.

Every store in downtown Loudon except Greer’s, although there is still a barber shop where Gene Dill’s place used to be, and the funeral home is still there but under another name.

Mrs. White’s store is gone.

Lewis McCollister’s store is gone, or at least isn't what it was

Carl Gile’s store is gone.

The hospital is now an assisted living place, I think.

Simpson’s store is gone.

Jackson school is gone.

The old high school is something else now.
Mr. Lawson’s store gone.

The grammar school is partially gone and what's left is a church.

Every store in west end Loudon is not either something else or empty.

The A&W is gone and now even the Sonic that replaced it is gone too.

The landfill, or dump as we called it, has been covered over and now is on Matlock Bend.

The old Junior High school is now the County offices.



What have I missed?

No comments: