Thursday, May 03, 2012

Obituaries

Maybe it’s an age thing, but more and more I find myself scanning the obituaries. I don’t know what I really expect to find; not my own, that’s for sure.

Is it just me or is there a touch of apprehension when you start scanning them, thinking that you might see a name you recognize. Then if you do see someone you know you feel really bad, and if you don’t see anyone you know there’s a mixture of relief and self-admonition for looking in the first place.

More and more, pictures are showing up in obituaries. I will admit that I like that, especially the one of the 90-odd year old lady whose picture is from the 40s or 50s, or the soldier or sailor in his uniform from WWII or Vietnam. They obviously don’t look anything like that now, but who really wants to show a picture of themselves just short of the grave? Why not let them show a picture when they felt more vital, or proud of what they’ve done?

The other thing that gets me is the cost. Sheesh! This is from the Knoxnews site. “Monday through Saturday - .53 per word Sunday Edition - .80 per word. One time charge of $21.00 to place an obituary. Picture prices range from $16.00 to $52.00 depending on size. Discount pricing for multiple days of publication.”

Lessee… so far the PC says I’ve written 235 words (and going up), so by that rate it’s $124.55 for Monday thru Saturday and $189.00 to run on a Sunday. Add the one-time charge and the price for a picture and the range is $161.55 to $197.55 on the low end and $225.00 to $261.00 for the high price spread.

No wonder we take out insurance. I think I’m going to limit mine to – “He lived and he died. If you know him you know what he looks like and if you don’t, it doesn’t matter.” (Neat – 22 words. $32.66 and $38.60. Now, that I can afford.)

No comments: