I recently read an article about “boomerang kids”, those that move back home to Mom and Dad for various reasons. I know it’s a tough world out there and getting started, or staying started in some cases, can be tough, so I don’t have a problem with them coming back ‘home’; at least not to a point.
However, I think I would have an issue with them staying. It’s my job to get them started and that’s no different than Mama Bird teaching her little ones how to fly, but I see a downside to it as well. I think it builds character and self-reliance for them to fend for themselves, besides; Mom and Dad aren’t going to live forever.
But my point to this whole thing is that even though everyone is treating this like a ‘new’ thing, I can remember lots of people who lived in multi-generational homes when I was a kid. And I’m talking about multi-generational adults.
Actually, I think the concept of one family homes is the new thing, or at least in the past 40 or 50 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment