I went to a local high school the other day and something struck me odd. No dress code. I know, I know, it's been that way for years. After all, we wanted our kids to express their individuality... so they started dressing like everybody else. Yes, I'm sounding like my parents, but I don't see how the boy's clothes can get any looser or the girl's clothes any tighter. Is that one of those opposites attract things? I know this much, if a guy is walking around gripping his pants with one hand so they don't fall down around his ankles, gravity is trying to tell him something.
The point to this whole thing though, as always, is us. One of the ladies is going to have to comment on the dress code for females, because all I know is what I saw... dresses. As for the guys, let me see if I've got this right...
Slacks, no jeans.
Leather shoes, no tennis shoes or sneakers (whichever you prefer)
Shirts with collars, and tucked in at all times.
The pants just a touch short so the socks that matched the shirt would show.
Hair, neat and cut.
No facial hair, as if most of us could. Senior year when they let us grow a beard to celebrate the city centennial, John Williams put us all to shame!
Belt.
Did I miss anything?
1 comment:
The girls wore dresses or skirts and blouses, with hose at all times.This would include those gosh awful garter belts.Remember our Freshman year there wasn't any panty hose!What about Mrs.Porter wanting us to wear white blouses and red shorts in P.E.Simply because she thought it would look nice if everybody looked the same.If memory serves me correctly, we even wore dresses to sporting events.As they say: times they are a changin.
Post a Comment