Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Our First X Rated Movie

The Academy Awards were on TV the other night and brought back a memory that I've laughed about several times over the years. When Midnight Cowboy was first released it was rated X. Initially that rating was not meant for porn, but heck, we didn't know that. Several of us were going to "sneak" into the drive-in and watch our first X rated movie!! And we did. I can remember riding in the trunk of the car from the IGA parking lot up to the drive-in. Obviously we were disappointed. We sat there waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did, or nothing like we hoped for anyway. Midnight Cowboy has became one of my favorite movies, and my absolute favorite Dustin Hoffman performance, but that night it was a bit of a disappointment, at least to our expectations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I heard a bad word at the movies. The movie was "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and someone called someone else a son of a ..... I remember being really shocked that they would put that in a movie. (Ok I didn't get out much), but you have to admit movies and TV sure have changed since then.

Doug Presley said...

Brenda, I think we came along as that change was being made in movies. I watched Cool Hand Luke the other day and there wasn't one foul word in it, and it's a prison movie.