Thursday, March 02, 2006

Where Did We Go?

In July 1970 they held the second lottery of the Vietnam draft. To this date it is the only lottery I've ever come close to winning. My birthdate came up with lottery number 116, and they had already said they would need to go to 120+ to fulfill their requirements for the coming year. As it turned out they went to 125. It took me about half a day of questioning the draft board to find out that any deferment would be hard to come by, so since I wanted at least a little say so in what I was going to do, I joined the Air Force instead of waiting to be drafted.

What was supposed to be a four year hitch turned into a 20 year career. After basic training in Texas I went on to assignments in California, Alaska, Arkansas, back to California and then to South Carolina where I retired in November 1990 after 20 years. My course work and skills were all in meteorology, but I quickly found out those jobs were few and far between, so I drifted into computers. We moved to Memphis just as I retired and after 10 years there we relocated to where we are now in Indiana.

My wife Susan and I have 5 kids and 6 grandkids. I've figured it out and when my youngest moves off to college or whatever, I will have had a kid in my house for 40 straight years. You might say an empty nest is going to take some getting used to.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Let me know something about you. Leave as little or as much as you want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug don't stop counting yet-- when they get older, for one reason or another, some children come BACK home to stay, and getting them out the door the first time is a lot easier than getting them out the door the second time around. I have not had a first hand experience with this, but have read horror stories of others who have.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - you are right on track. Our oldest daughter came back home(with her little boy!) after being married for about 2 years, so sometimes they multiply and then come home!!! She didn't stay long though (about a year). Our house has been empty now since 1997 when our youngest daughter was married. Of course we have the grandchildren over for the weekend sometimes (we have 3 grandsons and 1 granddaughter).