I suppose this is not just a high school experience, but high school is the first place most of us ran into blind dates. Did you have any? Were they good, or bad, or somewhere in the middle? I had exactly 2 blind dates in high school. I will not embarrass anyone by using names.
It might be debatable whether one was exactly blind since I knew who it was, and it may even be a stretch calling it a date since it was to the Senior Banquet. I was asked something like a week before, so maybe it would be better to call it pinch hitting. Either way, I had a good time.
The other one was totally blind **the date, not the girl :) ** and I guess it was successful since I went out with her a couple of more times. I had fun each time.
The thing is, how do you handle blind dates? When you find out the date is going to be with someone from your 3rd period English class, well, it makes it a little hard to find something to talk about other than the teacher or what goes on in class. It's also a bit of a sticky problem when the date is someone who is close friends with someone else at school you have a hard time getting along with. You sit for a few minutes wondering if the other person has mentioned your like-hate relationship, and if they have, what can you do to possibly make this date fun? In the end it all worked out. She was terrific and I had a great time every time we went out, and we parted as friends.
I did learn something though. Most of us guys viewed blind dates as getting stuck with someone who couldn't get a date, or at least most of the guys I knew did. The thing is, I didn't have a date either, so maybe she was the one who was actually getting stuck. I know what my friend told me to get me to go, but what was she told? And how much resistance was there on her part? Overall, she had more to worry about than I did. Was I going to keep my hands to myself? Would I treat her with respect? And worse yet, was I going to be a talker, and boast to all my friends about what went on during the date, either real or imagined? I didn't exactly soar with the eagles, so I could have done more harm to her reputation that she could have done to mine.
Anyway, I would like to say the pleasant blind date experiences continued, but they didn't. A couple of years later, I met my first wife on a blind date. Nuff said. :)
3 comments:
I can't remember ever having a blind date.I've had dates that one or both parties probably wished we were blind, at that time. Blind dates weren't for me I guess, to big of a chicken to try that.
I didn't have any blind dates. How did that work anyway? Did your friends just show up with a date for you without telling you who you were going out with? I would think a blind date would be very awkward for everyone involved.
In my case, for the banquet a friend asked if I was still not going and when I said no, he told me someone wanted to double with him and his date but didn't have anyone to go with, so would I go along as her date? I said sure and that was that, so technically I guess I was her blind date since she didn't know right away who they were pairing her up with me. The second one was a friend who's girlfriend wanted to bring a friend of hers along on an outing and asked if he knew anyone who would be interested in going along to make it a double. When I asked who it was, he said something like "Just hush and say yes." So since I trusted him and his girlfriend I went along. It turned out to be fun after the early jitters were over.
Maybe girls didn't have to worry about it, I don't know, but my date book wasn't always that full, so I figured even if they didn't work out it beat sitting at home doing nothing. As it was, they both turned very well.
Post a Comment