Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Me Then and the Me Now

My 13 year old is one of the most inquisitive people I know. She is sincerely interested in things like my past, her family tree and where I grew up, much more than any of my other kids. She genuinely enjoys going to Loudon, it’s one of her favorite places. She likes the way the town looks, its surroundings and the people. She likes it when everybody waves as we drive around, “And they don’t even know who I am”, she says. She is, in no small part, responsible for what I’ve put on this site, because she always wants to know so much about things that it keeps me thinking about them too. Anyway, in answering her questions, I’ve put together two people, me then and me now.

The me then was painfully thin. The me now is painfully… well... not so thin.

The me then smoked. The me now only smokes when he’s grilling something.

My Walter Mitty world back then included daydreams about her, or her, or maybe even her. My Walter Mitty world now includes daydreams about winning the Powerball, actually finishing a round of golf under par, and catching the world’s first 25 pound largemouth bass.

The me then struggled in school. The me now struggles through more things than I care to admit.

The me then walked almost everyplace he went (in town). The me now only walks for exercise.

The me then went to a restaurant or café maybe once every other month. The me now goes to one at least once a week. Back then when my mom said it was supper time, we all gathered around the table. Now when my wife says its supper time, the kids run to jump in the van.

The me then went to football and basketball games to socialize and watch the team play. The me now goes to basketball and baseball and football and soccer and kick ball and volleyball (and I know I’m forgetting something) to watch my kids play.

The me then went to church mostly because I had to. The me now goes to church because, well, I have to. Back then it was duress, now its part of the plan.

The me then wanted to drive a fast and sporty car (and did too, for awhile). The me now just wants a vehicle that is easy to get in and out of.

The me then dreamed of living in a huge house so everybody would have their own space. The me now wished I’d bought one with less space. It’s going to feel awfully empty in a couple of years.

The me then missed you guys when I left to join the Air Force. The me now still does.

No comments: