Friday, August 04, 2006

The Top Memories

When I was thinking about the post for graduation I started putting together a list of my top memories... or at least the ones I don't mind sharing :) How many can you come up with? (Some of these are mentioned in previous posts)

Graduation has to be first I think. After all, it was the ultimate goal, right? Well, wasn't it?

The football championship. That was a great ride for a football crazy town. I remember being in the stands near the end of the championship game and one guy getting mad when they scored the last safety because he had bet the score would be 28-0, just like the two previous games.

The walk-out that wasn't. I don't remember what brought it about or who instigated it or anything else about it, but I do remember gathering in the main hall because there was going to be a "demonstration". Nobody did anything. We were such a radical bunch. ;)

The sign that didn't work. I think this was related to the football championship when the class before us tried to horn in on our party, so to speak. They put a sign on the billboard on Highway 11 just east of the school that was supposed to drop down at some predetermined time. I have no idea what the sign said because nothing ever happened. I think the guys who put up that sign must have organized the demonstration. :)

The driver's ed car thru the cafeteria window. RL, right? This is one of those stories that seems to get a little more added to it with each retelling. Truthfully I can just barely remember it happening, but you have to admit, it's the stuff of which legends are made. :)

The senior trip to Six Flags. What a waste. When you consider that we went and came back the same day, and had to drive all the way to Atlanta, that left us with what... 30 minutes to actually do something while we were there?? Okay, so I'm being a little facetious, but when you think of it 30 odd years later and all you remember is the bus ride, well, it couldn't have been all that great.

The annual trip to the fair. To me this was more fun than the senior trip. At least we were there long enough to do something. :) I also remember once trying to impress someone I was with. We got on one of those spinning rides that rotated like a ferris wheel while the caged seat would also spin upside down. Well I impressed her alright. I didn't take the pencils out of my pocket and as we went head over heels the pencils went bouncing all over the inside of the cage. I'm lucky I didn't put her eye out.

The fight. I'm not going to mention both names because one guy cheated, or at least in my mind he did. Larry Lankford got into a shouting match once with this particular guy. If any of you remember Larry, you'll recall he was usually pretty mellow, so it would really take something to antagonize him. At any rate the two of them agreed to a fight after school and when Larry got outside this guy came up with a blank pistol from somewhere and before anyone knew what was happening he put it right up to Larry's eyes and pulled the trigger. Needless to say it blinded Larry and as he's trying to get the powder out of his eyes, the creep starts punching him. The rest of us broke it up at that point. Some guys are natural born a-holes.

Disco-teen! Can you dance? Can you do it on TV? I missed it. I probably wouldn't have danced anyway, but it was my one shot in life to be on TV. :) I'm sure TVland is all the better for me not getting it. :)

Patriotic Youth Day. I can't remember all of it except there were things going on all over the school. People were singing in the auditorium, racing down at the football track, arts and crafts in a lot of the classrooms, all kinds of things. Other schools even showed up. It was a fun time

But, the little memories are probably our favorite. I know they are mine. We all have memories that we recall more than any other. They probably wouldn't make any difference to anybody else, even the others who were involved, but we remember them. It might be a day in study hall when you sat and chatted with someone you didn't really know that much about but you both opened up a little and suddenly you had a new friend. Or a smile from a certain someone at just the right time. Or someone stopping you in the hall and talking with you when you could have sworn that person didn't even know you existed. Yep, sometimes the little ones are the best ones.

No comments: