Homecoming. Technically we had four. Do you remember any of them? Am I wrong or was the only things that happened during homecoming the football game and voting for the Homecoming Queen, oh, and a parade, I almost forgot the parade. There was a parade, right? Do you remember who you voted for? I remember voting for Doris my senior year, I don’t recall the others. Heck, I don’t even remember who ran.
One of the traps of nostalgia is that things somehow seem “better” when you think back to years ago, but I don’t always think that’s true. Sure, some things, a lot in fact, were better back then in their own way, and I guess getting involved with a site like this is trying to relive them to a degree, but they were not always better.
One of those is Homecoming. These days, at least at my kid’s schools, they have a Homecoming Week. Each day is a different theme and they dress or do different things, or eat specific foods in the cafeteria; there’s a powder puff football game for the girls on Thursday night before the big game on Friday; and, there’s a dance at the school on Saturday night. To me that makes Homecoming more important, more reasons for someone to actually “come home.” Why not party all week instead of just one night?
3 comments:
You bet there was a parade! The best part of homecoming was working on the floats - sometimes at the ag or industrial arts department. I think it was our senior year we used one of the buildings across the bridge to build our float - Mr. Headlee helped and we worked almost all night getting it ready - I have no idea now what the theme was, just the fun that everybody had filling all those little holes in the chicken wire with napkins and spray painting them! And I loved getting to stay out of class to decorate the halls before each game!
I remember the senior homecoming but not the others. I voted for Beverly but I think Debbie won. It was hard to decide who to vote for since all the girls running were so nice.
I can,t remember any. But i do remember they were fun.
Post a Comment