Monday, October 23, 2006

It's Not too Early to Start Making Plans

I'm still shaking my head about Brenda having to sit in the principal's office. She, and a few others always gave me the impression of being quiet and shy, too shy to ever be sent to the office. Sorry Brenda, I'm not trying to embarrass you.

Did you ever think you had someone pegged a certain way only to find out later, either before or after graduation, that you really didn't know them at all? Obviously there are some situations where that surprise can be in a bad way, but I guess what got me thinking about this was the times that you caught yourself thinking, "Huh, they are so nice!"

Kaye Collis Gordon is another one, and no Kaye, I'm not picking on you either. During high school I thought Kaye was very nice and friendly, but I didn't run in her circle nor she in mine, so I really didn't know her. Twenty years later when we bumped into each other in Memphis I got to see just how nice she is. Her family and mine had several get togethers and they were fun.

Even in a school as small as ours it was hard to really know everybody. I'm betting that if we all really thought about it, we have one or two nagging little wishes about knowing someone better back then.

Delphia mentioned in an email recently that we really need a 40th and I totally agree. Several of us have talked about getting together even if there is no reunion and we can do that too. I'm not sure what all I can do, but I will help either way. The internet makes it easier for those of us farther away to pitch in and do stuff like mailing and stuff like that. I'm still trying to get an email list together. I officially have 20 addresses, but 4 or 5 of them have not responded to my emails, so they're still sort of in limbo. But looking on the bright side, that's 20 in 6 months, so that makes 40 in a year and there's about 3 and half years until we would have a reunion, so there's time. :) Okay, so I'm stretching it some. :)

Anyway, any ideas? I vote for more than just a one night get together. Let's make a weekend out of it. Friday night casual, Saturday night a little more formal, and either Sunday or Saturday brunch or picnic someplace. What do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Doug, I have a "wild side" that shows up from time to time. I could tell a few stories that would make you shake your head really hard.

Anonymous said...

So Brenda, when your wild side is showing do you paint the town beige??? :)

Anonymous said...

Beige & white!! Go ahead and make fun. Haven't you ever heard that the prim & proper girls are the ones you have to watch out for? You're just trying to make me tell stories on myself aren't you, Doug?

Anonymous said...

You're the one who mentioned a wild side. :) I think those are relative, don't you? I might consider your wild side tame and vice versa.

What are you doing here on a Saturday? :)

Anonymous said...

Back to the reunion - I think a weekend reunion would be great. I would love to help with the planning.