Monday, February 05, 2007

Championships

So the Colts won and this town is going bananas. Downtown at 5 this afternoon they held a parade and a rally for the team. The temperature was 9 and the wind chill around -20. Lots of people went, but I wasn't one of them. It's not that I don't like the team, I do. I just like the cold less. I found out a long time ago that you can hide from the cold temperatures, but you can't hide from the wind.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about championships, and while this one is great and the Braves in 95 were super and Tennessee's national championship in 98 was 10 times great, neither compare to 1970. You knew I was going to say that, huh?

The state title in 1970 was sweet for so many reasons; the first year of playoffs, we won on our home field, it added to the history of that football crazy town, and countless more. We all have our own reasons for enjoying that season, but probably the biggest reason for me was that I knew every player on the team and several of them were guys I'd gone to school with since first grade.

How could any other championship top that one?

No comments: