Since it's that time of year, maybe we should talk about our proms. The thing is, you folks will have to do most of the talking because I didn't go to either one. I came close senior year, but as they say, close only counts in hand grenades, horseshoes and drive ins.
I have always had the opinion that, if possible, you went to the prom with that special someone. Maybe I was wrong, maybe you could just go with whoever as long as you went. I think my middle son had the right attitude. He went stag to his proms thinking he wouldn't be limited to just one girl since there were always a few guys who never danced. I would never have dreamed of going stag.
Was there a tux place in Loudon? Lenior City? Or did the guys have to go to Knoxville to get a tux, unless they opted for wearing a suit?
Where did the girls get their gowns? Did they have to plan months in advance so they could get one or were they relatively plentiful?
Did you dance? Or was it more fun to sit and talk with whoever was at your table?
From time to time I wish I had went to at least one of them, if for no other reason than to say that I went. Tell me how much I missed.
5 comments:
I can't contribute anything, cause like you Doug, I didn't go to either prom.
Since nobody ask me to go to the junior prom, I didn't go. The senior prom was different. Me and Nelda and our dates,doubled on prom night. Our dates were two "men" older than us and just back from Vietnam.We thought we were the stuff!! Even if all we did was ride to Knox. Shoneys and get a coke. I took home one of the decorations but brought it back due to a guilty conscience.
I went to both proms with Bruce. We doubled with Rhonda K. & Jerry Harris. After Junior Prom, we went to Carls to eat. After Senior Prom, we went to Shoneys in Knox. Bruce and Jerry didn't wear a tux, just a white jacket with Black pants. I bought my dress for Junior Prom at Cato's in Lenoir City. For the Senior prom, I bought one from Beverly (the one she wore for Junior Prom, I guess). I remember Sandra Ward's date wearing a yellow tux.
I went to prom our sophmore year with David James, and boy was I HOT! Of course I found out the next day that I had pneumonia with a temp of 104 - killed any hope of a romance there! Went with Johnny the next two years - bought my dresses from an older girl in Vonore - no one in Loudon had seen those! Johnny actually went to five proms and wore the same white coat to all of them - he borrowed it from Bob Turpin - after the third time Bob's mom just gave it to him!
Yep Doug there was a place in Loudon to get a tux. The old 5 to 5 store in the west end. the building is now part of Carrolls Bargain Box. Got mine there and it made even an ol' country boy like me look mighty spiffy!(lol)
Post a Comment