Sometimes when I think about Loudon, I catch myself wondering about some things I remembered and whether it's anywhere near the same now. Here's a few of the things that cross my mind.
1. Do the old men still sit on the bench on the corner across from the old White Store and whittle?
2. Is there a walkway on the new bridge in case someone decides to walk across it?
3. Late Sunday afternoon, when the streets downtown are almost deserted, does the church up on the hill still ring its bells and create what I used to call the loneliest feeling in the world?
4. Is the pool hall still open?
5. Do a lot of folks from the country still come to town on Saturday mornings?
6. Where is the public library now?
7. There used to be two drugstores down town, are there any downtown now?
8. If I still lived in Loudon and wanted to catch a Trailways or a Greyhound bus, where would I go?
9. I know the river is (was) polluted at the old ferry, but does anybody still put into the river there now?
10. Do they still have a street festival downtown?
11. Do they still have the 4th of July (?) parade and the Homecoming parade?
12. Where is the Loudon Herald office now?
13. Is there still a Handle Factory in the west end?
14. What’s the name of the old aluminum company that was across the street from the Handle Factory?
15. Is the city dump still up on Reservoir Hill?
16. Is the creamery still in operation?
1 comment:
The "Church Bell's" haven't played in several months. They did chime at 9,12,3,&6. Hopefully they want get fixed until I don't have to hear them all the time. And yes, you can walk across the bridge but there is no protection from traffic. So you (anybody) better not be tipsy when your walking across. The old men that are still alive now whittle at the courthouse lawn.
Post a Comment