Monday, May 05, 2008

Another TV Transition

I don't watch TV very much so this might be old news to some of you. One night as I was trying to go to sleep and Sue was watching the news, I heard a spot about the "digital transition." It seems, for whatever reason, next year TV stations will switch from an analog signal to a digital signal.


I have no idea whether I should be jumping up and down or cussing, but since I don't watch it that much my reaction is a bit more blase`.


However, it does conjure up a memory or two, which leads me to this picture. No, it's not a plug for 'The Guns of Will Sonnett', although I thought it was a good show, but instead it's about watching a color program on a black and white TV. Do you remember that, or were you one of the lucky ones who had a color TV all along?

I think it was Hollywood's way of telling us that it was time we upgraded our sets, but in those days we didn't stand in line to buy the latest upgrade like they do now, so it took some time. At our house it seemed to take forever, but since I was 8 before we got our first TV, I guess that was par for the course. I'm not complaining. Times were different then and money was tighter. It took our parents a year to make what most of us get in a month now, so things like TVs were not priorities.

Besides, they were supposed to last forever, right? Why else would they have tube testers in places like Richeson's Drug Store?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ricky and I were married before I ever got a color t.v. I think it was a 13 inch screen. We bought it on credit a Greer Hardware.Took several months to get it paid for. Trish's mom and dad had a color t.v. but with an antenna it looked kind of green all the time.