Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Poked and Prodded

Yesterday was my annual physical and I acquired a new pill --- other than that he said everything was hunky dory. My blood pressure, pulse, and EKG were all good. I jokingly asked him if he had anything he could give me for my looks and he said he couldn't perform miracles and could only offer blinders for the people around me to wear. Such a funny doctor I have.

Anyway, as I was driving home I had the strangest thought, and I hope it’s not too depressing. It occurred to me that since we are all now in the 55-57 year old range, we are most likely in the same age neighborhood as Mrs. Watkins, Mrs. Arp, Miss Mize, Mr. Alexander, and some of the other “older” teachers were when we were in school. I don’t mean this as a slam against them, everyone ages, it’s just that when you’re 17, 57 seems light years away.

If I close my eyes, and forget about the graying hair and god awfully deep wrinkles I have from the years I smoked, I honestly don’t feel any different now than I did then. Sometimes I’m a little stiff when I wake up some mornings, and I get a little short of breath quicker than before, but my mind sometimes thinks I’m still 17. I’m not in any danger of going bungee jumping or anything like that, but I refuse to act “old”, and I can better understand why Mrs. McCall seemd to have a bad day every now and again.

No comments: