It is hard to write something after writing a memorial post about a passing classmate. You want to keep it light and fun on here, because common sense tells you that's what people want to read about most, but to be honest I'm not in a light and fun mood. I'm not exactly depressed either, so I guess I would call it more of a serious mood.
Each time someone I know passes, be they family or friend, I catch myself wondering to a degree whether they "died young". The funny part of it is the older I get, the more my definition of what "young" and "old" is changes too. Is 56 old? Personally I don't think so. I know I'm not going to match the lifespan of Methuselah, but I'm also not ready to start packing it in yet either, not by a long shot.
So when do we call ourselves old, or senior citizens? An email I got today thought we might be getting close, and I will agree that we are getting closer all the time, but when exactly does being old start? Heck, restaurants can't even decide. Some will give you the "senior citizen's discount" at 55, while other say 50 and still others say 60. AARP started baiting my mailbox with propaganda when I got within 6 months of turning 50.
So when then, do you become old? I cannot answer for everyone since obviously we are all at different stages of health, but for me I'm not going to be old until my head and my heart tell me I am. My body will whimper and moan sometimes when I overdo it in the yard, or lift something the wrong way, but my head tells it to stop complaining and I make an adjustment, and to me that is the key. My head knows I'm not old, but it also knows I'm not young anymore either and certain adjustments to my routine are necessary from time to time. So as long as I can make those adjustments, I'm not old.
Now, if I could just believe that well enough to get my waistline down to where I can make some adjustments to my belt, I'd be doing something. ;)
3 comments:
I was thinking the same thing. Wednesday, I had an appointment in Knoxville. In the passed I would aways wear shorts in the summertime, then I wondered am I to old for this and maybe I should wear pants or capri's. Most women that I noticed had on pants or jeans.So maybe that is what I should do but I still like my shorts better. What are we suppose to do?
Wear your shorts. :)
That's the beauty of being a certain age. We can wear whatever we want because we really don't care what others think. I haven't worn tank tops in years (arms are flabby)but I saw one i liked last week, it was black with sparklies all over it so I bought it and wore it with my hip hugger jeans (my daughter's hand me downs)that I have to keep pulling up because they feel like they're falling off. Made me feel younger and I didn't get too many odd looks. I might wear it again!
Post a Comment