I live in a small town just north of Indianapolis called Noblesville , or as some of the locals say --- Nobletucky. The town comes by the nickname honestly --- there are a lot of people around here with southern roots.
As part of my job I am required to verify the identity of the people I do things for, and like so many other places, we have a bank of questions we can ask them and compare their answers to what they previously submitted. One of those questions is "Where were you born?" Obviously places in Indiana are the most common, but there are a boatload of people who were born in Knoxville or Johnson City or Nashville or Oak Ridge. I even ran into one from Sweetwater. They are all around our age and when I asked them how long they lived down there they all say the same thing... anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years because their Dad moved up here to find work.
Is it still that bad? I know it was when we graduated. I can remember driving around Knoxville with Allen McNabb and stopping at lots of places to fill out applications. We didn't even get a callback for an interview. I was lucky enough to have a job at Maramount until I joined the USAF, but so much for trying to move up.
Oh, and it goes without saying that now that you know where I live, all of you are very welcome to stop by anytime you're close by)
No comments:
Post a Comment