Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Two Questions

We have all heard, and probably used, the expression “If I only knew then what I know now.” If you are like me you use it almost whimsically to mean there was a missed opportunity of some sort that I could have taken advantage of in some way "if I only knew then."

The antithesis of this then would have to be a line from “Against the Wind”, an old Bob Seger song that said, “I wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then.” This implies there has been some damage done or some pain suffered that I would just as soon not have had to deal with.

To me, the two lines define the high school years versus some of the years since. If I only knew then what I know now things would have been different with that girl or in that class or on a particular day or situation and fate would have smiled on me; while I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then would have saved me a lot of frustration, a few lonely nights and a big broken heart.  Maybe.

So when you look back, which is the longer list for you --- what you wished you knew or what you wished you didn't know?

No comments: