Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Agony of the Feet

Besides the obvious --- wrinkles, grey hair, a few extra pounds ---  what is the strongest sign you might not be the youngster you used to be?  If I had to pick one thing, for me it would be my feet.

When I was a little kid I shucked my shoes in the spring and after a week of "toughening" I was ready to go everywhere barefoot.  From walking on hot pavement to running down a gravel road, my feet were tough enough to take me anywhere I wanted to go.

When I got older I could stay out all night running from this place to that, or trekking around the California desert or the Alaskan tundra while wearing anything from sandals to boots to moccasins to tennis shoes to nothing.

But now I'm ready to find a place to sit down after only a couple of hours at the mall or downtown and there is a benefit function at church each year that includes a lot of standing from 5pm to 2am that leaves my dogs barking long and loud. 

I think it's their way of telling me they're tired of hauling my fat butt around all the time and it's high time I started listening.

I think I'll go soak my feet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mine would be my vision. For a while it was stretching my arm out to read but then my arm got to short!!! Now if I forget my glasses somebody has to be my eyes for me. I hate not having good vision.