Saturday, November 15, 2008

Clyde and the Frogman

Did you know Clyde and the Frogman? That's what I called Clyde Wagner and Frog Williams, the two custodians at the school. They were there everyday but were almost invisible most of the time. I had the pleasure of working with them after school and on weekends for two school years.

I had nothing but respect for Clyde who was almost an anachronism with his flat top haircut. He taught me to get there early, do it right the first time, and take responsibility for what I did whether it was right or wrong.

Frog worked hard too, but in some ways he was just the opposite of Clyde. He didn't mind us clowining around as long as we got the job done. He usually pretended to be gruff and mean but he really wasn't. He made things fun most of the time.

They were just as much a part of my high school life as you guys were.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clyde was around for a long time before he came to Loudon High. He was the janitor and boys basketball coach for Davis School. I will never forget the smell of sawdust on those wooden floors. His wife Estelle was one of the cooks in the cafeteria. Sure would like to have some of her peanut butter cookies and frozen lemon moose!