In 1971 I went to a fast food place in California called Der Wienerschnitzel and ordered a hot dog, and that's what I got -- a hot dog on a bun. I said, "Where's the chili and cole slaw?" She said, "You didn't order it." The small town boy in me didn't realize he had to. I was used to getting chili and cole slaw when I ordered hot dogs.
Over the years I have adjusted somewhat and learned to get by on what's available. For example, a Chicago hot dog is terrific and Nathan Red Hots are great and brats are good as well, but none of them beat a good ol' Loudon hot dog. So I make my own.
For the hot dog I prefer either a Zweigle's or Hoffman's natural casing dog from upstate New York. My daughter in law and some of Sue's people are from up that way and I love these dogs. They have a casing so they pop open when they're cooked and for my money are much better when grilled than any other way you can cook them. If I can't get those I like Ball Park or John Morrell brands.
For the cole slaw I like it simple:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 medium carrots, finely shredded
1 medium head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
In a large bowl, I stir together the sugar and mayonnaise, add the carrots and cabbage, and mix it all together until well coated. Then I cover it and put in fridge to chill before using.
For the chili sauce:
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 lb. very lean ground beef
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Teaspoon cumin
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 8oz can tomato Sauce
1 cup water
Flour, preferably masa flour
1. Heat olive oil and sauté onions and then remove them for later.
2. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Drain.
3. Turn heat to low and add tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onions and water to the meat. If you want a little cayenne pepper you can throw it in here too, but be careful. A little goes a long way.
4. Stir it all together well.
5. Bring it to a low simmer and cover. Cook slowly for 15 minutes, stirring several times.
6. The idea here is to keep it as thick as possible, so in a small bowl mix one tablespoon flour with enough olive oil or water to make a smooth paste and add it to the chili. Regular flour will make it thick, but masa flour works a lot better because it enhances the flavor and aroma. Masa flour is made from corn and you can buy it at a mexican grocery store if one is close by.
7. Cook for an additional 10 minutes after adding the flour.
I'm not too particular about the bun as long as it's fresh, however the only mustard that I will use is plain yellow mustard. Anything else steps on the flavor.
Not a true Loudon hot dog, but not bad. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment