Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Years Had Names

Have you ever wondered why the years in high school were named the way they were? I know, it's worthless information, but that's the kind of stuff that gnaws at me sometimes and sends me scurrying around the internet.

Obviously, freshman means someone in their first year, or fresh at what they're doing. Different parts of the world refer to them under different, usually derogatory nicknames like "fish", "fresher", "frosh", "newbie", "freshie", "snotter" or "fresh-meat". I'm sure glad nobody called me that name next to the last.

Sophomore in folklore terms means "wise fool", or comes from the Greek "sophos", meaning "wise", and "moros" meaning "foolish". And if you think about it that makes a little sense considering how we pushed out our chests and bosted we weren't freshman anymore.

Junior and senior are a little more obvious. Since senior is the last year, junior is the year under that since a junior comes after a senior, just like it does when someone is named after someone elss. In some parts of the country someone taking 5 years to graduate is called a "super senior". I'm not sure about you but that sounds a little too positive than the name I would use.

No comments: