Thursday, May 26, 2011

How Did You Do?

If you could peel back the layers to 40 years ago, what did you have in mind to do with your life? Get married and raise a family? College? Work at a specific job or place?


How close did you come to the dreams you had then?

I think most of us had a family in mind, or at least some sort of relationship. Heck, nobody wants to go through life alone. How about college? There are even more to choose from now; little, big and all sizes in between. How did that work out? Did you stick to your original major?

How about work? Did you think about Visking, the mill, the chair factory, the handle factory, Maramont, or how about the family business or farm? There wasn’t a lot to choose from back then, huh? I was lucky enough to get on at Maramont after scouring Loudon, Lenoir City and south Knoxville for everything I could think of. The only restriction was retail. I’ve never had the proper ‘demeanor’ to sell stuff. I couldn’t sell water in a desert.

Anyway, I know a few people who moved into their family business or farm, and I think with mixed results. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Given the opportunity, I would have jumped at it.

This all brings me down to my second question. How close did you get to what you wanted to do? Not counting family, mine turned out to be almost 100% different. I got really lucky and am blessed to have the family I have now, and the altered plans for my life made that happen, so all in all, I am very much okay with how it all turned out.

No comments: