Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Regrets, I Have a Few, But Then Again… Who Doesn’t?

If I give the impression that high school was all fun and games to me, loaded with fond memories and good times, that’s because that’s how I choose to look at it. It wasn’t all fun and games of course. Not for me, not for any of us. I’m not denying reality; I’m just denying myself the trouble of dwelling on it. Obviously there are things I would change if I could go back.

For one thing I would try harder. Instead of going with the flow so much I would swim upstream against the current a little bit more often.

I would have joined more clubs and organizations and widened my social circle some.

I wouldn’t have let a coach’s offhand comment make me decide not to at least try, because there might have been something there I could have done.

I would have dated more than I did. I would have probably been told no a lot more often, but what the heck, I could also have gotten one or two more yeses. :)

I would have tried to be a better friend.

In other words, I would have changed what I could, not what I can't. I can't change who I am or what side of the tracks I came from, even if I wanted to, so there's no point in trying.

Yep, I choose to usually look at the brighter side of things, because the alternative is to get sour and bitter and second guess everything that happened, and most of them are things I have no control over anyway, so why worry about them at all? Besides, I’m ugly enough as it is without the extra grey hair and wrinkles that comes with that kind of outlook. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All of us at some time or other probably wish we could be "Sam" and take a "Quantum Leap" back in time and change a few things. Of course it wouldn't work too well if we didn't have "Al" and "Ziggy" there to help us out OR to make another leap. But if we could "leap" and change a few things, would we be the same people that we are today? Might be a good thing--then again--it might not!!