Saturday, April 08, 2006

Time Changes Us All

I know there are people who have looked this over and haven't contacted me, and that's okay. They don't have to. As I said in the beginning, this is strictly voluntary and they are under no obligation. I would still like to get a class email list together to make it easier to set up reunions and things like that, but I would also like to get people yammering back and forth with each other a little bit too, if that's possible. Remember how noisey the halls used to get between classes with everybody yakking? That's something like what I mean, only now it can be more the electronic kind if need be. But something else comes to mind and I hope it isn't what is standing in some people's way of joining in.

In the immortal words of Popeye, "I yam what I yam".

And we are who we are. Please don't think that just because you've gotten older and have changed some that you are in some way persona non grata around your old friends, because you're not. We all have greyer hair and a lot more wrinkles and most of us have put on more than a few extra pounds. We are not those fresh young faces in the yearbook anymore. We are mothers and fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers, and we all carry the loads put on us by family and jobs and life in general. We have faced life and we have lost loved ones. We have the scars of mind and body that hurt now and probably always will. We have accomplished some of the goals and plans we made for ourselves back in high school, we've had to adjust some of the others, and there are others still we've had to flat out bury because they simply aren't going to happen. We are older (in my case uglier) and we may seem different than we were, but we have a bond between us that time cannot erase.

Because another thing we have, or had, is friendship, and that is what I'm after here. To see if friendships can be rekindled, the fires under them stoked just a little bit. We all had someone in our class we were very close to. If you're not keeping in touch with them now, wouldn't you like to be? In the words of John Lennon (although I prefer Judy Collins singing it)

There are places, I remember, all my life though some have changed
Some forever, not for better, some are gone, and some remain
All these places have their meanings with lovers and friends I still can recall,
Some are dead and some are living...in my life, I've loved them all.

I may be an old fart lost in the past, but this matters to me, and I think it matters to each of you, if even just a little. In some ways, I think the friendships will mean more to us now than they did back then. We once shared the aches and pains of becoming adults together, who better to lean on a little now when we face the aches and pains of getting older?

You'll find my email address on my profile sheet in this blog, and there's also a guestbook you can sign. Please, when you stop by, say hi. It doesn't have to be anything long or deep. Just leave me a note or an email. Better yet, leave a comment to one of the posts or add a post of your own. I will guarantee you that there's more than a handful reading this blog now, and you will make someone smile, starting with me. :)

No comments: