Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll

Okay, we’ve spent some time talking about dating here, so we know none of us experimented with sex before we were married, right? Right. In fact we hardly ever talked or even thought about it, right? Right. Okay, I thought so. So, since that’s settled we can move away from that part of this post.

I’ve said a couple of things about rock n’ roll so far and we all liked it to some degree or another, right? I thought so. We can move on from that part of this post too.

But wait, we were raised in the 60s right? So we were part of the dope smoking, peace loving, free sex generation, right? Right? Come on, help me out here. Your grandkids aren't looking over your shoulder!

At our 25th reunion at the high school, one of the changes that piqued my curiosity was they had removed the stalls from the boy’s restrooms. When I asked why, someone said, “Because of the drugs.” I've attended sporting events and other such affairs at a number of high schools in a good number of states, and only my alma mater had a drug problem so bad they had to remove the restroom stalls!

Which leads me to the point of this whole thing... when did you first become aware of pot? I know I'm going to get a big fat zero for comments on this, but I am curious enough to ask anyway. I became aware in 69 when I was offered some brownies laced with pot while visiting some friends in Knoxville, but I wasn't aware of a lot of it in Loudon. I'm not saying there was none of the evil weed around, because there was, but it wasn't very prevalent in the circles I ran in. Most of the people I knew still opted for beer as their buzz maker, if they had one at all.

Now granted, when I got to California it was everywhere. You couldn’t go to a party without getting a contact high from just breathing the air, but I don’t think dope was that common when we were in school, was it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first time I was offered pot was at a Rod Stewart concert in Knoxville sometime in the 70's. Everyone seemed to be high at that concert! I didn't try it then, but several years later I did try to smoke it. I couldn't figure out how to inhale it tho, so I'm like President Clinton, I tried it but didn't inhale. (I hope my 15 year old grandson doesn't find out about this blog cause I seem to be telling a lot on myself.) At our next reunion, I'll be the one with the red face!

Kathey said...

I can honestly say I have never been offered pot. Beer but no pot. Never did get the taste for beer, couldn't stand the smell either. I guess I really did lead a sheltered life while at home, then after leaving LHS, I went one year to the Vocational school in Athens, and from there I went to work for the FBI in Washington D.C. So, there wasn't much room for drugs of any kind in my life I am happy to say. My daughter just can't believe that I was alive in the '70's and never smoked pot. My husband spent almost 22 years in the Marine Corps and believe it or not, he's not a smoker or drinker, other than an occasional beer.

Anonymous said...

Kathey, I didn't know you were in the FBI! Am I in trouble? I swear I only tried it once!

Anonymous said...

I notice that the rest have been very quiet on their experiences. :)



(This is also an update test to see if comments will be included in the update emails)