A few days ago I was talking with my youngest daughter about something and at one point she said I was speaking "Loudon". That's what she and my youngest son call it when I use an expression they consider southern. I don't really mind, it reminds me of my roots and affirms their roots for them. The expression are usually just something I picked up from my grandmother. She spent her entire life around Loudon and her conversations were usually peppered with expressions and terms I'm sure you've all heard before.
If it rained really hard it was a "gully washer".
If it was cold it was "cold enough to freeze th' horns off a brass monkey", and if it was really cold she added a part of his anatomy the horns were attached to, usually his butt.
If it was hot it was "hotter'n a Georgie firecracker". I guess Georgia firecrackers had more powder in them or something.
If someone had been drinking too much he was "three sheets to th' wind".
If something didn't bother her it was "water off a duck's back".
If someone was a bad shot, or couldn't throw a ball, they "couldn't hit a barn from th' inside".
If she was mad at us she was "gonna cloud up'n rain all over you".
If she thought someone did something stupid she would shake her head and say, "some folks raise th' dumbest young'ns".
If we said we couldn't do something, or wouldn't even try, she would encourage us by saying "can't never could".
If someone had a big ego she would say "I’d like to buy him for what he’s worth 'n sell him for what he thinks he’s worth".
Anyway, that's a few of them, and a lesson in speaking "Loudon". Can you guys add any?
3 comments:
Here's a few that Granny taught me:
He was "mad as a hornet".
Everything is "hunkey dorey" today.
I cut my finger and it started "bleedin like a stuck pig"
I came home from work and I was just "plumb tuckered out".
I ate too much and now I'm "full as a tick".
Hey! You speak Loudon too!!
I remembered another one this morning. Where is smack dab? My grandmother used to say something like, "He lived right smack dab in the middle of town."
Post a Comment