I was never a big fan of basketball. This is no disrespect to our classmates who played the game, but when I think of high school sports I think of football and I probably would, with or without the state title. I think this has become either my bane or my penance, depending on how you want to look at it, because I now live in a state (Indiana) that eats, breaths and sleeps the sport, and two of my sons have played it a good portion of their lives. What else are you going to do with a 15 year old who's 6-3 and still growing? :)
Anyway, I know I went to most of the home basketball games and some of the away games, but the pizazz that football had just wasn't there. What I remember the most when I do think of basketball though was not the high school games, but the junior high games that were played at the old high school. Remember those? Remember the old cramped gym?
Loudon, Steekee, Davis, Philadelphia, Highland Park (and I know I'm missing a team or two) all had boys and girls teams. This is where we would see each other before we even knew we would be friends in high school. Where us guys would talk about this or that cute girl from Steekee or Davis, and at some point might even work up the nerve to say hello; while some of the girls were huddled together saying the same thing about the guys.
And that's why I think I remember it so much, it was definitely more of a social event than it was a sporting event, and even more social than the high school games were. Maybe it was because there were so many more kids at the games than there were grown ups, I don't know, but it was just more fun. Sure, we cared if our team won or not, but more often than not we didn't find out the scores until after the games were over.
Okay, I know Kathey probably played on one of those teams, did any more of you?
8 comments:
I played basketball for Davis School. I was on the "B" team in 5th & 6th grades and the "A" team in 7th & 8th grades. Really didn't have too much time to look at the guys when you were actually playing the game. I went out for basketball in high school, got to do a lot of the exercises but only got to warm the bench at practice. I didn't make the team but it didn't really bother me though, cause I didn't have to take phys ed and basketball was the last period of the day, so I didn't have to take a shower either!
I love basketball. The Lady Vols are my favorite. I've had season tickets for years and years and have gone to several finale fours.Most of which we won and a couple we didn't.The pregame show is amazing, its worth going to see if you don't like basketball.
In grammar school I played for Steekee. For some reason we could never beat L.J.H. Our suits were green satin with knee pads and a wool warmup jacket. We thought we were the stuff.
You left out Browder, Jackson, and Glendale Schools.
Okay, Browder and Jackson I missed (sorry Brenda), but I don't remember Glendale at all. Where was Glendale?
Donna my youngest son would be so envious of you. He dearly loves the Lady Vols. They just had the women's final four here in Indy and will again in 2011. Anytime you follow the team up for a game we have a guest room you guys are always welcome to.
I played on the Jackson team. We were the Jackson Blue Devils and wore blue and white uniforms. Kaye played but I don't remember if the other girls in my class (Bonnie, Geneva, or Brenda H.)played or not. We were also cheerleaders for the boys team. The girls team won a lot when we had Jeanette C. (pea-wad) playing. She was a few years ahead of us and was a really good player.
I didn't know Bonnie went to Jackson. Where is she now? By, Brenda H. do you mean Brenda Henry? I haven't seen her in years either. Where did everybody go?
Glendale is across the dam near Greenback. I remember Leta G. played for them sometimes.
I haven't seen Bonnie Bivens or Brenda Henry in years. I see Geneva sometimes - she lives on old 72. Last I heard Brenda was up north somewhere and Bonnie was in Knoxville. The boys in our class were Doyle Goodson, Arthur Kelso, & Harold (Jake) Lane. Kaye am I leaving anyone out? 5 girls and 3 boys, right?
Okay, I just remembered the girl teams played with 6 players to a team, 3 offense and 3 defense. What end of the court did you ladies play on?
Post a Comment