Kathey sent me an email yesterday that got me to thinking about some more things. Remember….
… having one phone, which had a rotary dial and a cord? And it wasn’t the spiral cord, it was straight, and it would get kinks in it until after awhile it was like trying to untangle a bale of wire. And you could dial any number in Loudon by dialing 8 and then the last 4 digits. It was referred to as GLendale 8.
… push mowers? I first started earning money when I was about 8. I mowed the old lady’s yard down the street for 50 cents, and I used a push mower. The kind that if you were really leaning into it and had a good rhythm going, a twig would get caught between the blade and the roller and stop the mower immediately, pushing the handle up into your middle.
… TV sets that only got 3 or maybe 4 channels? We hated it when something like a press conference would come on because all three channels carried it. And we were constantly moving the “rabbit ears” to try and get a better picture. Sometimes we were lucky enough to get a channel out of Asheville.
… keeping a bill at the grocery store? My grandmother paid her grocery “bill” something like once a month. Whenever she needed anything she would send us to the store and told us to tell the guy behind the counter to “put it on my bill”, and he would.
… actually “playing” with your friends instead of just sharing a joystick? I had friends all over town, and at one time or another I would go to each neighborhood and play. And when you were at your friend’s house, their parents had jurisdiction over you. My folks weren’t the only people to ever spank my butt.
… going to the lake in Lenior City? A swimming pool is nothing like swimming in the lake, or river, or for that matter Steekee Creek. Just past the high school, Steekee Road used to make a sharp left hand turn, go across a little culvert over the creek and then make a sharp right hand turn. When I was 10 or so, the water at that culvert was waist deep and we could play or catch crawdads. Then a hundred yards or so toward town a spring bubbled up out of the ground and was always ice cold, even in the heat of July and August.
… the old movie house up past the post office? I used to pass out flyers for the guy who owned it and he would let me watch the movie on Saturday free. And I know we’ve talked about the drive-in before, but all the hanky-panky aside, it was the best place to watch a movie. Either sit in the car or get out and sit on the hood when it was hot and muggy. It was always so cool and relaxing.
… Doctor Sam or Doctor Bill? My brother fell out of a tree once and almost bit his tongue completely off. Mom picked him up and ran down the street to the doctor’s office and the doctor actually sewed my brother’s tongue back on. The thing is, they left a pea sized gravel in there, and afterward you could actually see the little bump where the gravel was.
… the Jewel Tea man? Did he ever stop at your house? He stopped by my grandmother’s house maybe once a month. Or how about the insurance man that came to your house and collected the payment? There was a little pouch that hung on the wall that the insurance money was kept in. Or how about the mailman... usually Tater Watts... who would walk his route and stop and talk to almost everybody.
… sitting on the porch? I miss having a porch. As a grown up I’ve only had one house that had a porch of any size.
… the soda fountain at Richeson’s Drug Store? Two scoops of chocolate and a cherry coke. And speaking of Coke, if it came out of a vending machine, it was the little bottle, maybe 8 ounces. Did you ever put peanuts in one?
Thanks for the email Kathey. :)
5 comments:
I remember not even having a phone and when we finally got one, we had to share a line with 8 other families. It was called an 8 party line and each family had a different combination of rings. Ours was 2 short rings. You could also listen in on other people's conversations.
I don't remember the Jewel Tea man. Maybe this was just in town. Did he sell tea?
You know, I don't know if he sold tea or not. I know he had a lot of trinket type things... small housewares, toiletries.. that type thing, but heck as far as I know he had tea too. :)
We had one of those big black heavy rotary phones. We were on a two-party line for the longest time. I still have a couple of the old rotary phones packed away somewhere. We also had just one tv that we all watched, there wasn't a whole lot of choice as what to watch when you only got 2 or 3 channels, and absolutely no other channel to turn to when the president was on! Virgil Simpson still keeps those "bills" at his store! We didn't go to the lake in Lenoir City, we went to Citico to the icy mountain streams. Stay in that water too long and your lips and fingers would turn purple. The Jewel Tea man came by our house too. I think he sold a little bit of everything. Hey, I still put peanuts in my coke!
***Sorry about the deleted comment above, I hit the wrong button. :) So here it is again. ***
You know, I think it's the differences, like some of us going to the lake in Lenior City and others going to places like Citico or Watts Bar; or back when we were talking about school trips when Brenda mentioned Camp Winnepesaukah that I had never even heard of, that shows even though we came from roughly the same small place, our lives were very different in several ways. And to me it's this "discovery" of things about the people I thought I knew quite a bit about, that makes this blog all the more fun and interesting, since in a way it's like meeting new people, but new people that we are already comfortable with. :)
Post a Comment