My youngest son is a sophomore this year. The other night he was supposed to be studying, but I'm not sure a whole lot of studying was done because he spent most of the time on the telephone talking to his friends. They use the three way calling feature on the phone to have 8 or 10 kids on the phone at the same time. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but they've done it several times. Anyway, whenever I'd say something to him, he'd assure me that, yep, they were studing, but I'm not so sure about that. I wasn't exactly eavesdropping, but out of the bits and pieces of the conversation I heard, I don't recall a whole lot having to do with school work.
Anyway, some of the stuff I heard reminded me that while a lot of things are different between their generation and ours, a whole lot hasn't changed either. While there have been advancements like computers, video games, cell phones and Ipods, there doesn't seem to be much change in the human side of things.
They talked about how hard one teacher was compared to another one and what you could do in a particular class to get the teacher to get off the subject.
They talked about how the sports teams were doing or who they were going to meet up with at the game to pal around with.
They talked about how one kid's voice hasn't changed and how another one was already growing a moustache.
They talked about girls too. Which ones were hot, which ones were not, even a whisper a time or two when they talked about a particular one. I'm not going to try and guess what they were talking about, I may not want to know the details. Anyway, one of his friends seemed to be having a particularly hard time with it all. It seems he had asked a girl to a dance or something and she originally had said yes, but then changed her mind later and said no. Now that brings back memories. I wanted so much to get on the other extension and tell them they had better get used to it because that particular lane in the road of life is always going to be a bit rocky. :) I'm sure the young lady had a very good reason for doing it, but there are some things a teenage boy's mind just can't comprehend, especially when it might reinforce some doubts and an already fragile self opinion. Okay, so I'm taking the guy's side of things, but that's the side I know and have experience with. :)
They also talked about cars. When they were going to drive, whether they were going to get a new car or a used one and whether their parents expected them to get a job and pay something toward the gas and upkeep of it.
All in all, it sounded so familiar, and I had to smile a time or two. So, maybe I was eavesdropping after all. :)
1 comment:
You know that it was always easier to talk things over with friends. It always seemed that they new it all. Remember saying, now don't tell anyone, o.k. Then the next day everybody new your true confessions. Mr. Arp (Dewayne), and I were talking about our children when my daughter was in school. He said to me, kids just can't understand that every lie they tell, we already told it years ago. Dr. Phil says, it is o.k. to eavesdrop or as he said to stay aware of what your kids are doing.
Post a Comment