Almost half way through senior year, as I was smarting from my last failed attempt at romance, I reached the point where I decided I was fed up with the whole thing and whenever the subject of girls was brought up I declared I was going to remain a bachelor my whole life.
The responses I got usually ranged from "Bullsh*t" to "Yeah, sure" to "You'll starve", so I thought I needed some way to prove my point. One day when I was walking down the hall, Mrs Morgan was standing outside her office and on the spur of the moment I asked her if it was possible for me to take half a year of Home Economics. I think she thought I was joking, so after smiling she gave me a few reasons why not, one of the main ones being that Home Ec was geared toward girls and a guy being in there would cause some gender issues.
Life has a funny way of working and as it turned out I didn't need Home Ec. One of the first jobs I had in the Air Force involved upholstery and I became more than a fair hand with a sewing machine, and then later when I was a single parent for eight years, I got to do all the cooking and cleaning and budgeting and other jobs that come along with running a household.
In a way it was as I said it would be.
2 comments:
O.K. Douglas, I have two recliners I need to have re-upholstered. It is good to know you can do that. Now, when is it you are comming to Loudon?
We went through school to early. Now you could take "bachelor survival".
I think the boys should have been required to take Home Ec. If they had, they would be more likely to help out around the house, or at least appreciate their wives more.
Post a Comment