Sunday, January 21, 2007

Snow

I shoveled snow today for the first time this year. I don't really mind it, it's good exercise and a short driveway. It's not really shoveling, it's more pushing. You put the shovel down and push the snow off the driveway in pretty much the same way a snow plow does the roads. Maybe one day I'll get a snow blower but right now, like I said, it's good exercise.

Usually when I do it my mind wanders to all sorts of things. Today I was thinking about when we were kids and it would snow.

I can remember starting at the top of Reservoir Hill and riding a sled down Mason Lane and having to turn on Commerce Street to keep from hitting the railroad tracks. You could coast almost to the overpass in front of the old Junior High School.

I remember one year we were on the IGA side of the river and used the hood of an old car for a sled. It was fun, you could get 4 or 5 guys on it at one time.

I can remember riding down Freedman Street over in Mexico. There was a group of us there. A few times I would lay on my belly and Jane McCollister laid on top of me and we both went down the hill together. We were in high school. :)

After getting cold and wet we would spend the rest of the day inside playing Monopoly or Yahtzee. Sometimes we had hot chocolate or no bake cookies, but almost all the time we had snow cream. I miss snow cream. I've tried to explain it to my kids, but I'm not sure they understand just how good it was. Nobody makes that much anymore, too much polution I guess, but man was it good.

I think I'll go make some no bake cookies. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, when Sandra and I were neighbors and TVA had not turned the water loose, we went riding on a car hood sled. We had a jeep pulling us around, trying to sling us off. We had fun especially when we thought Sandra was going straight for the river. Thank goodness for sage grass sticking out of the snow.

Anonymous said...

I remember one time when we had a big snow,walking with Ann Russell to JL's house. He lived at the top of a big hill. We all got on a sled and were going at a good speed down the hill when I yelled "how are we going to stop". J.L. yelled back, "do you want to hit that big tree or go into the creek?" I think we all jumped off before going into the creek.