A friend of mine used to say that when you hear your voice on a tape recorder and think you sound funny, how do you know your reflection in a mirror is really how you look? I used to think he was full of beans until I noticed that the guy I look at in the mirror every morning looks a lot different than the guy I see in our family pictures. If our voice is affected by our internal filters, why can't our image be filtered in some way too?
I used to tell my kids when they got to dating age and thought the sun rose and set in a particular person to take a good look at the heart throb's parents to see what Mr. or Miss Wonderful is going to look like when they grow up.
What do these things have to do with this blog? Nothing really, just some thoughts on me and you as we get older. When I think of you guys I automatically think of how you looked in the yearbook. I see Donna with that big smile and a determined sparkle in her eyes. I see Kathey and Brenda with a touch of shy blush when they're being teased. But before I get accussed of living in the past, I know none of us still look that way. Does it make me want to stop thinking about high school and the time I spent with you guys? Nope.
Since I hit 50 there's been a noticable change in me, and I'm sure in you folks as well. For one thing I'm getting shorter. I used to be 5-11, now no matter how I measure it, I'm a touch below 5-10. I used to yell at my boys for wearing their pants too long and walking on the cuff, now I'm doing the same thing. I don't quite have the jowls my mom had, but I do have a bit of a double chin, and I've picked up a little more roly in my poly.
The thing is, we all change as we get older, and I don't know that anyone would say they totally like the way they've changed, but I'm betting that if we spent some time together we would still find something in each other that stands out, something we find comfortable and familiar. Friends see friends that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment