Last Monday night it started snowing. By the time I left for work Tuesday morning there was about 3 inches on the ground. By quitting time there was about 10 inches on the ground but the roads were in reasonably good shape so I had no real trouble until I got on my street where the snow was drifting up past the bumper and I bogged down almost in front of the house. I rocked back and forth a couple of times and got thru that but there was a 2 ft drift across the driveway and the front yard. I had to dig my way INTO the garage because I didn't want to leave the van out all night since the storm was not over. Apparently my digging altered the wind flow because on Wednesday morning there was now a 4 ft drift across the drive AND a one foot drift right up against the garage door. Of course being a macho man who never asks for directions or help, I tried to plow thru both of those drifts plus the mound the snow plow had left at the end of the driveway. I didn't make it. Almost 5 hours and what felt like a ton of snow later, I got most of it shoveled.
Anway, the point to this whole thing is I was expected to be at work, snow or no snow, but with an achey back and sore shoulders, I decided to call and tell them I wouldn't be in. While I recouped with my hot chocolate it got me to thinking of the times I didn't go to school.
I remember once in 8th grade Wayne McNabb and me decided not to go to school one day and we jumped the fence behind the junior high school and headed down toward the river. It was a dumb, spur of the moment idea, because we ended up exploring the woods behind the school on what turned out to be a very drab cool day. If we had planned it we could have at least stashed fishing gear someplace and that would have given us something to do.
That experience affected the way I cut school in high school. Usually if I didn't want to go I said I had an upset stomach or something and just stayed home. I did go to Knoxville once with Freddy Lindsey and that got me yelled at but that was about it.
Another odd thing I thought of was we used to call it "laying out" of school. I have no idea what the term meant or where it originated, but I can recall my older brothers and sister using it. I didn't use the term "cutting" until I got to high school.
So, ever cut? Want to share who with and what you did? ;)
2 comments:
Douglas!!! I can't beleive you did that! I remember me, Pat and Nelda would always be sick on the same day. The next day we wrote each others excuse. Mrs. McCall would say, where you sick-- yes-- and there is the other two right behind you. Some days we would go to the lake for the day and sometimes we went to one or the others house. I only laid out my senior year. We only went 1/2 a day.
I've mentioned this before. I spent very little time in English during our Senior year. I would go for roll call and then leave, walk right past the office and down the steps where Bruce would be waiting in his car. I have no idea why Mrs. McCall didn't stop me. Maybe since I left everyday, she thought I had permission?
Post a Comment